Let’s face it, writing great essays can be very tedious. Figuring out what topic to write about is one of the difficult steps to take when you have such a task. Students tend to choose topics they’re either interested in or deeply passionate about. Although there isn’t a specific method that you can use to pick out the right essay topic, there are several ways of approaching the matter that’ll give you the much-needed headway.
College Essay Topics
If you’re looking to get admitted into an exceptional college, then you have to ensure your admission essay stands out from the rest. Most colleges use these essays as a way of gauging a student’s character, thus playing a big role in the admission process. In many cases, what captures the attention of administrators is how well a learner argues out their ideas and what makes them unique. Here are a few great college essay topics that are likely to help you get that acceptance letter.
For this type of essay, think about a feature of your personality that truly makes you unique. Also, ensure you point out whether this character naturally exists or was forged through practice and persistence over the years.
When writing this particular essay, point out the accomplishments that have been of great impact on your life. In addition, be sure to explain why those particular achievements have stood out.
Describe What You’re Passionate About
This essay gives you the chance to talk about what you love. You can write about anything provided your passion is expressed throughout the whole essay.
Setbacks and Lessons
For these types of essays, you can write about the obstacles you’ve faced in life and how you got through them. Overcoming challenges illustrates bravery and perseverance. Also, don’t forget to list the lessons you learned from the experiences.
You can write about the achievements that you wish to attain whether in regards to your life, school, or career. Make sure to also include how you plan on attaining these goals.
Categories of Essay Topics
There are several essay styles that all students should be familiar with. They can be placed in the following categories.
Narrative essays are a form of academic writing which is mainly used to tell a story. As a writer, your aim is to create realistic experiences for your readers; you have to put your readers at the center of the story and keep them engaged.
Possible Narrative Topics
- Tell a story about Courage.
- Describe an incident where you became a champion.
- Develop and create a story that illustrates the importance of honesty.
- Talk about the experience of a lifetime
This is a type of essay that describes an event, person, process, or object. This style is all about bringing your ideas to life by using exceptional creativity and extensive vocabulary.
Possible Descriptive Essay Topics
- Describe a fictional personality who’s your role model.
- Describe the perfect husband or wife.
- Describe a terrifying nightmare you’ve ever had.
- Describe a childhood memory that’s engraved into your mind.
Just like the name suggests, these essays are meant to “expose” information about a certain topic or idea. They are used to clarify, define, inform, and explain certain concepts.
Possible Expository Essay Topic
- What principle should you use to help you choose between Microsoft and Apple?
- What are the main things to look for when purchasing a new car?
- Discuss the cons and pros of purchasing a bike versus a car in the town where you stay.
This is an interesting type of writing that creates a debate on a particular topic. Its purpose is to convince readers that a certain point of view is correct.
Possible Persuasive Essay Topic
- Convince the government that they should focus on stopping climate change.
- Convince an atheist that aliens exist.
- Give a reason why it’s necessary to conduct medical tests on animals.
Even though writing application essays can be a headache, using the information presented above will definitely help you come up with something unique and compelling.